Pre-solo Exam Schweizer SGS 1-26
1. What is the wing span of the glider?
A. 15 meters
B. 49 feet
C. 40 feet
D. 16 meters
2. Where is the tow release knob?
A. On the left side of the cockpit.
B. In the center bottom of instrument panel.
C. Under the nose.
D. Next to the pilot’s left leg.
3. How do you actuate the wheel brake?
A. Squeeze the handle on the control stick.
B. Pull the lever on the floor next to the pilot’s left leg.
C. Pull the spoiler control handle to it’s full aft position.
D. Press on both rudder pedals.
4. Where is the control for the speed brake?
A. The red handle on the left side of the cockpit
B. The blue handle on the right side of the cockpit.
C. The blue handle on the left side of the cockpit.
D. This glider does not have a speed brake.
5. How do you adjust the position of the rudder pedals?
A. Release the red knob and press on the rudder pedals.
B. Adjust the position of the seat back - the pedals are fixed.
C. Adjust the connector in the rudder cables.
D. Answer B & C.
6. What type of trim does the 1-26 use?
A. A movable angle of attack of the horizontal stabilizer.
B. A control that moves a trim tab on the elevator.
C. A spring loaded mechanism that is controlled by the handle on the
right lower edge of the instrument panel.
D. A spring loaded mechanism that is controlled by the small trigger on the control stick.
7. What is the best L/D speed?
A. 55 kts.
B. 53 kts.
C. 43 mph.
D. 53 mph.
8. What is the speed for minimum sink?
A. 53 mph.
B. 32 kts.
C. 40 kts.
D. 40 mph.
9. What is the maximum speed (Vne)?
A. 104 mph.
B. 104 kts.
C. 114 mph.
D. 116 mph.
10. What is the maximum positive G load allowed?
A. 5.3 gs.
B. 3.5 gs.
C. 4.0 gs.
D. 6.0 gs.
11. What is the maximum gross weight of the glider?
A. 575 lbs.
B. 700 lbs.
C. 647 lbs.
D. 800 lbs.
12. What is the recommended recovery from a spin in the 1-26?
A. Open speed brake and then use opposite rudder.
B. Normal - opposite rudder and forward stick.
C. Normal - opposite rudder and back stick to keep from exceeding Vne.
D. Open speed brake and wait for speed to slow down
13. Where is the canopy latch?
A. The silver handle on the right side of the cockpit.
B. The curved handle on the right side of the cockpit.
C. The curved loops on the left side of the cockpit.
D. The red knob in the center of the panel.
14. What is the minimum pilot weight?
A. 100 lbs.
B. 102 lbs.
C. 142 lbs.
D. 222 lbs.
15. What is the maneuvering speed?
A. 68 mph.
B. 114 mph.
C. 76 kts.
D. 53 mph.
16. What is the L/D of the glider?
A. 23 to 1
B. 25 to 1
C. 26 to 1
D. 20 to 1
17. What is the maximum speed at which you may open the speed brake?
A. 68 mph.
B. 90 mph.
C. 90 kts.
D. 114 mph.
18. Where is the tow release?
A. Under the nose.
B. Under the fuselage, in the wheel well.
C. In the nose cone.
D. On the side of the fuselage.